Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Month of May

Merry Month of May
During this month, which is soon over, it's the 27th today, the heat has become more and more profound. The weather, which tends to know when the weekends come and usually changes into thick overcast or windy and cloudy, has made me taking a day of school every now and then to ride my bike to the beach or stay home and relax by the pool. One Wednesday, even though I was planning on staying home from school, I woke up early to go running, ran around my neighborhood for about 3 miles and jumped in the pool when I got back This is the ultimate start of the day in my opinion. Then, without taking a shower, I jumped on my bike and rode it to Santa Monica beach. I got there at 9.00 am, was watching all the surfers struggle in the big waves until 12.00 pm, when I packed my stuff together and went to the Urth Cafe to have a delicious panini sandwich with artichoke, mushrooms, cheese, some kind of pesto and peppers. Having had enough sun already, but eager to improve my tan even more I went back to the beach after lunch and read my book for an hour or two. I was surprised how much activity there is at the beach on a Wednesday and how many people are there (either surfing, tanning, hanging out, playing volleyball etc.). What do they do for a living that makes them able to spend their time like that? How do they get money? If I could figure out a way of living that included waking up every morning and walking down to play volleyball at the beach, I would definitely do it. I have to add though, being 5 hours under the Californian sun, with my Scandinavian skin and without any sun screen on, was not a great idea. At first my skin got red, then it got better and looked like a really nice tan, and after about a week I started to peel on my upper back and shoulders. But oh well, since then I now tan with sun block. Wise, huh?

More is to come.

No comments: