Friday, November 21, 2008

New York Friday

I rode my bike to school and attended 1st and 2nd period, ceramics and usually guitar, but I had to take a Physiology test since the midterm grade was due the next following Wednesday.

To leave school earlier I had to give the attendance office a note from my guardian that approved that. I’ve noticed how much stricter the attendance is here that it would be back home. Everyone just comes and leaves as they want to, pretty much. Here the teachers are required to take roll as soon as the bell rings in the beginning of every class. Even if you come only one minute late you are marked as tardy, no exceptions. Tardy to the 1st period results in a detention, after a certain number of tardiness’s you have Saturday school.

However, I got home to finish my packing. Julie arrived soon later. She is Mary Sue’s sister and lives outside LA and hosted my brother Fabian for a year. She, Mary Sue and I were going to New York together. Josh made us one BLT (bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich) each while we watched Barack Obama’s first press conference as President-elect! “Finally a president that is intelligent and can pronounce words correctly!” I heard someone say. Josh gave us a ride to the airport and we bordered the airplane as soon as we got there.

Washington D.C and New York are both on the east coast, NY is a bit farther away, but the flight felt endless. I watched the movie “21”, which was quite mediocre, somewhat similar to the Ocean eleven movies.

Finally arriving at JFK outside NY we got in a cab. Because of the time difference it was already 10.30 pm, dark and misty outside. We got to the apartment that we were renting, about half an hour later. It was situated on 31 East 20th which is in the middle of Manhattan. With food as a common passion we went out to a very nice restaurant on the opposite side of the street called Gramercy Tavern. The food got my blessing but the experience wasn’t great because I felt sick after the flight. With refilled stomachs, we went to bed, exhausted.

No comments: