Friday, November 21, 2008

New York Tuesday

Tuesday was Veteran’s Day. It's a holiday meant to honor the war veterans from all the wars that the USA have fought – as well as the one they’re fighting right now. An imposing parade, (which reminded me of the Euro Pride Parade last summer, only that it was veterans instead of gays) took place on Manhattan, from Central Park south on 5th Avenue. For security reasons some parts of the town was closed which led to extended traffic chaos. Fortunately we were walking…

Having explored this part of town in the last few days we now knew where we were going. Firstly we headed for a shoe store, aiming for a pair of shoes matching my homecoming dress and a pair that I could eventually wear the same night at the charity dinner. I found a pair for $7! They might not be the best quality, but for one or two occasions they were more then good. Secondly we passed a vintage store and I tried on a white leather jacket, I loved it but since it was a tiny bit too small I didn’t buy it. The advantage with shopping in vintage stores is that you can find something that is totally unique, but in contrast, the disadvantage that comes with it is that there is a limited range of seizes. I guess I’ll just keep looking! Thirdly, we went to an Indian boutique to get some accessories for my homecoming dance since the theme was “Bollywood”. We bought shiny bracelets, a tattoo, earrings and one of those spots for the forehead, which “Idol-Kishti” used to wear.

With a cultural interest in mind we chose the Empire State Building as our next pastime. In the long line to the elevators that would take us up to the 87th floor we met 4 gorgeous Australian boys in the age of 23-29 years old. They just arrived the the previous day to NYC and had me guess their age, which I always hate because of the risk to be offending or insulting. I guessed 19 on the 24-year old, he looked like an identical copy of my friend Sebastian, but older. Really handsome...

From the top of the Empire State Building there was an incredible view. You could see the entire city from up above, how NYC is built on islands, like Stockholm.
You could see the Statue of Liberty, all the beautiful bridges and you realize how big Central Park is and how dense and compact the city is.

When we kept on going north and reached the richer and more expensive area, we past shop windows that had already started with the Christmas decorations which made me think of how fast the time here has past. I’ve been here for almost three months.

The main event, the charity dinner, later that evening took place at Caroline’s Comedy Club, right on Time Square. We were entertained by a number of famous comedians and I had a great time. When it ended we went to an after party and went to bed at about 3.00 am to be ready for the flight the morning after!

No comments: